Friday, October 21, 2005

Disgruntled Christians

Over the past six months I have maintained this blog (although sporadically at times!) because of my deep conviction that Christianity as a religion has got way off track from the spiritually-radical, anti-religious message of Jesus. (For review of my perspective, be sure to check out one of my initial posts: "So, what's wrong with religion?").
 
As I alluded in another essential post, "Why so negative?", my intent is not to be purely negative, or disrespectful of those for whom the Christian religion provides meaning. While my blog may come across as negative at times, my ultimate intent is to see Jesus' very positive message expressed. But, the reality is that before we recover his radical new way of approaching God and others, we must be honest about the state of Christianity today. And, it may mean rejecting those elements that are contrary to the very spirit of the one whom we call "Lord". This "deconstruction" process is in keeping with our understanding that death is a prerequisite for resurrection.
 
It is evident to me that there are more and more disgruntled followers of Jesus out there who are seeing through the facade of Christian religion, and are yearning for more something congruent. Most people have not given up on God, or their Christian beliefs, but increasingly you hear people reject "organized religion".
 
But, all is not negative. Out of the ashes is rising a new band of Christ-followers committed to the ideals of Jesus. Are they reactionary, idealistic, and even naive? Probably in some cases. But, I am encouraged to see, for example, the rapid growth of the "emerging church movement" which tends to be comprised of positive, informally-networked groups of individuals willing to step outside the box of conventional Christianity. Of course, mainstream Christians (especially the conservative side of the spectrum) are taking notice and are feeling threatened by their rejection of philosophical and political foundation that has shaped modern Christianity. It's begin to take the shape of a major battle, and could end up to be one of the major turning points within Christian history.
 
Having said all of this, I want to go back to the growing number of disgruntled Christians that I see around me. And, when I journey through the blogosphere and podosphere (new word!) there are many out there who are sorting through their own faith struggles, having given up on the Christian church as an institution and religion. Here's a small list of some blogs and podcasts that I've come across recently (in no particular order). This is not necessarily to recommend them or to even agree with their positions, but these are worth investigating, even if just to hear the voices of those who want to follow Jesus but feel alienated and even angry by the religious system that bears his name:


Technorati Tags : , ,


|



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?